Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thing #22

Oh dear, facebook. I have literally lost hours of my life there-too fun. I recently was talked into getting an FB account so I finally started one on spring break. I use it more than my My Space account that my sister set up for me years back. Since I was already familiar with FB somewhat, I decided to search schools and join groups as the task suggested. I found alumni's for all my schools and joined those-too funny! I also found one for the NMHS Flag Corp and Big Blue! I also added some former students (recent grads) as well as former teachers of mine.
I think it is important for us educators to be familiar with these social networks, even though I was unsure at first. I think we should know how our students communicate and be able to reach them in those ways. I like that Fb is pretty safe and you only talk to who you want. Mine is set to "private" and invite only. I dislike the fact that people can put pics of you and everyone sees them. But, that's one of the things I enjoy is looking at pics of everyone, so go figure. I guess I can see an educational app for the Farm game thingy. Everyone I know is into buying land, crops, etc. I also think if a group joins a site collectively, they can bounce ideas off one another...all in one place at their own pace. Ultimately, it has been a great way to keep in touch with people since our lives are too busy to connect another way.

No comments:

Post a Comment