Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Thing # 2 Thoughts about Web 2.0

I was amazed and overwhelmed after watching the videos about Web 2.0! It has already had a tremendous effect on my learning as well as my students. In several of my masters classes, we have viewed online videos and pod casts that have enhanced the content of the courses. One particular website called The Futures Channel uses pod casts connected with lessons to teach kids how science and math are connected to real careers.
Students can now have so many more opportunities for learning that are rich and meaningful than I did. They can connect to the real world right from their classroom. Having and providing these opportunities as a teacher gives me that key to engaging students on a much higher level. Motivating students can be so difficult, but using components of Web 2.0 can definitely keep them intrigued and captivated.
In the video of kids K-12 students today, I saw kids of my past that did not get to benefit from technology. I felt guilt as I watched and wondering what I could of done or could be doing to further enhance my students' learning. Once I learn more about wikis, pod casts and creating other online features I can give my students the power to own their learning.
I enjoyed the article by Mr. Warlick. It was overwhelming to think about all the technology practices going on in that school. But, if you just think about one teacher's role, it doesn't seem too bad. That is how I'm choosing to view the challenge in front of me-start small.

1 comment: